Queen Charlotte Five Day Standard/Upgrade Freedom Walk
Experience the track with this standard or upgrade freedom package, walking for all five days, including two shorter days to finish.
The Five Day Standard/Upgrade Freedom Walk on the Queen Charlotte Track includes your water taxi to and from the track, accommodation while on the track, overnight luggage transfers and Picton drop off/pickups. Breakfasts and dinners are additional but are easily arranged at the lodges.
Day 0 - A pre walk briefing will take place in Picton the day prior to departure at 5pm - more details of this will be included within your final booking confirmation (depending on the time of year, this may be moved to the morning of departure)
Day 1 - Ship Cove to Endeavour Inlet/Furneaux Lodge (approx. 5½-6 hours hours/16.5km)
You will be picked up from your Picton accommodation and then catch the water taxi for your trip to Ship Cove where the walk begins. Hike around the scenic bays and coves of the Queen Charlotte Sound to Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet.
Accommodation - Furneaux Lodge
Built in the early 1900's at the foot of it's namesake Mount Furneaux, and surrounded by acres of New Zealand native forest, Furneaux Lodge is set on 3 acres of the flattest and most picturesque scenery in the Marlborough Sounds which has been unchanged since Captain Cook's first visit to the inlet in the 1770's. Furneaux Lodge comprises of the original homestead, restaurant, bar and accommodation in a delightfully picturesque setting.
Day 2 - Endeavour Inlet to Camp Bay/Punga Cove (approx. 4 hours/12km)
Today’s mainly coastal walk takes you around the inlet through regenerating native bush to the call of bellbirds, fantails and other NZ native birds. Pause at the head of the bay to learn more about antimony & the mining industry that thrived there in the 1880s. Follow the main track onwards and into Big Bay before working your way towards Camp Bay and, five minutes on from there, Mahana Lodge.
Accommodation - Punga Cove (or Mahana Lodge included in the standard package)
Experience clear sparkling water, native New Zealand bush and simple tranquillity. Nestled amidst a profusion of punga ferns, Punga Cove’s well-appointed rooms are a welcome respite. The restaurant with its impressive ridge top view across the bay completes a perfect day.
Day 3 - Punga Cove to Portage/Torea Saddle (Approx. 8 hours/23km)
A challenging but rewarding day on the ridgeline between Punga Cove & Torea Saddle near Portage. Truly grand vistas feature round every corner with views back to Picton and over both the Queen Charlotte and Kenepuru Sounds.
Accommodation - Portage Resort
Portage Resort is a well-established accommodation with a fine restaurant, relaxed cafe & comfortable natural timber chalets. The property is set amongst a rustic landscape of native plants with an abundance of birdlife to be seen as you submerge yourself into the nature. Relax, unwind and switch off from the rest of the world and enjoy being in a remote part of the Sounds.
Day 4 - Portage Resort to Lochmara Lodge (Approx. 3 hours)
From Portage Resort ascend to the ridgeline once again and enjoy stunning views back towards Picton as well as into the turquoise waters of the Kenepuru Sound. Follow the well marked turn off to Lochmara Lodge and enjoy the walk down the private track to Lochmara Lodge itself. A shorter walk today and a chance to enjoy the grounds at Lochmara Lodge.
Accommodation – Lochmara Lodge
Set on the tranquil shores of the Queen Charlotte Sound, Lochmara Lodge features quality accommodation as well as aviaries and enclosures with endangered species, an organic vegetable garden and orchard, educational signage, sculpture trail and art gallery. Kayaks and paddle boards are available for guests to use.
Day 5 - Lochmara Lodge to Anakiwa (approx 6 hours)
Leaving Lochmara Lodge you will ascend to the ridgeline once again, enjoying stunning views back towards Picton as well as into the turquoise waters of the Kenepuru Sound. Open farmland and a grand native bush section to finish is a fitting finale after four days of walking. You won’t want the journey to end. Today you return by boat from the Outward Bound wharf in Anakiwa by joining Beachcomber Cruises service back to Picton and your transport back to your Picton accommodation.
$1070NZ per person (based on twin share) – Standard Package
$1230NZ per person (based on twin share) – Upgrade Package
- Daily departures subject to accommodation availability - min. two persons
- Pre trip briefing in Picton
- Transfers to/from your Picton accommodation to the water taxi departure point
- Standard package - 4 nights standard double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation in a Tobias Suite at Furneaux Lodge, private room at Mahana Lodge*, Korimako at Portage Resort and Weka/Tui Chalet at Lochmara Lodge
- Upgrade package - 4 nights upgrade double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation in a Endeavour Suite at Furneaux Lodge, Frond Suite at Punga Cove, Tui Terrace at Portage Resort and Kakariki Chalet at Lochmara Lodge
- Water transport to and from track (Picton to Ship Cove and Anakiwa to Picton)
- Luggage transfers (you only carry your day pack)
- Packed lunch day
- Information pack including track reference guide
- Queen Charlotte Track Pass
- Single room occupancy available on request - supplement applies
- Child rate (4-15 years) available on request (based on the child sharing a room with 2 paying adults)
* If there is no availability at Mahana Lodge on your chosen dates, we can instead book a standard room at Punga Cove for you (this may alter the price slightly - details will be sent on confirmation)
- Add on First Day Guided Walk - $230 per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide who will provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Queen Charlotte Track experience. Your first day is regarded as the premier section of the Queen Charlotte Track. Many beautiful views are to be had across the Marlborough Sounds. Your informative local guide will explain the European and Maori connections of this significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience . . .(Private guides available on request - additional costs apply)