Lake Waikaremoana Four Day Guided Walk
The Lake Waikaremoana Track is a Great Walk through pristine virgin rainforest around lake shores. See mountains, bluffs and waterfalls, visit remote beaches and stare in wonder at the views from the iconic high point of Panekire Bluff.
Experience an area time forgot on the four day guided walk of Lake Waikaremoana. This is a hut-to-hut hiking expedition, circumnavigating beautiful Lake Waikaremoana, with secluded beaches, fascinating history and truly breathtaking views.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers.
Day 1 – Rotorua/Hopuruahine to Waiharuru Hut
(Approx. 4 hours/10.5km)
Begin with a scenic drive from Rotorua to the start of the track. The walk begins beside an estuary before you catch the first glimpses of the lake. Follow the shores of Lake Waikaremoana for most of the afternoon. The Waiharuru Hut is your accommodation – you may hear the calls of the North Island brown kiwi and the morepork/ruru tonight.
Day 2 – Waiharuru Hut to Waiopaoa Hut
(Approx. 6-8 hours/18.3km)
This is the longest day but there is ample time to enjoy the bush, birds and lovely beaches of the western arm of the lake. After lunch an optional boat cruise reduces walking time and makes the side track to the stunning Korokoro Falls more achievable. Waiopaoa Hut, nestled amongst the lush rainforest that stretches to the lake edge, is your home for the night.
Day 3 – Waiopaoa Hut to Panekire Hut
(Approx. 4-5 hours/7.6km)
Ascend the iconic Panekire Bluffs today, hiking through differing layers of vegetation as you go. At the close of the day soak up the panoramic vistas from the hut right out to the ocean. Watch the sunset over the lake and forest clad mountains and marvel at the terrain you have covered over the past few days.
Day 4 – Panekire Hut to Onepoto/Rotorua
(Approx. 4-5 hours/8.8km)
Welcome in the day with sunrise over the Pacific Ocean. Today you continue along the Panekire Ridge with magnificent views - look across Onepoto Bay to see the evidence of the landslide that created Lake Waikaremoana over two thousand years ago. Toast your achievements and then return to Rotorua by around 6pm.
Price per person - $1630NZ per adult
- Return transport from/to your central Rotorua accommodation
- 3 nights’ DOC hut track accommodation (Waiharuru Hut, Waiopaoa Hut and Panekire Hut)
- Fully catered - meals, snacks and drinks (please note - no alcohol is served on this trip due to the spiritual beliefs of the local people)
- Purpose-built support boat (transports most of your gear) (2 days carrying a day pack only; 2 days carrying a small pack)
- Professional, personal and caring guiding and interpretation all the way.
- Sleeping bag, backpack and raincoats can be supplied for no additional cost
- Child rate applies 8 to 15 years - $1100NZ per child
- No single supplement for solo travellers
Available on the following 2021/2022 departure dates (subject to minimum numbers):
October 2021 - 5 and 25
November 2021 - 4 and 18
December 2021 - 2, 16 and 29
January 2022 - 6 and 20
February 2022 - 3 and 17
March 2022 - 3, 17 and 31
April 2022 - 14 and 28