Hump Ridge Three Day Freedom Walk
For the independent walker who would like a little luxury along the way, the three day freedom walk of the Hump Ridge Track is perfect.
Your three day freedom walk on the Hump Ridge Track includes accommodation in Tuatapere before the walk, track accommodation in two modern backcountry lodges in superb locations at Okaka and Port Craig, breakfast each morning and Backcountry meal pouches for your evening dinners to sustain you along the way!
Day 0 - Overnight accommodation in Tuatapere included in your package.
Day 1 – Rarakau Carpark to Okaka Lodge (Approx. 7-9 hours/22 km)
Track transport is provided from Tuatapere to Rarakau. Your walk takes you along cliff tops, to sea level at Bluecliffs beach and through native bush. You may even see Hectors dolphins in the surf. Stag Point provides trampers with a stunning view out across Te Wae Wae Bay to Stewart Island. From here it is a short climb to reach the summit ridge and Okaka Lodge.
Day 2 – Okaka Lodge to Port Craig Lodge (Approx. 7-9 hours/20km)
Head along the summit ridge with spectacular views then descend the Hump Ridge and re-enters the bush with towering rimu, rata and totara trees in residence. At sea level, you cross historic wooden viaducts and reach Port Craig Lodge. Hectors dolphins are frequent visitors to the coast here with the occasional seal or penguin seen as well.
Day 3 – Port Craig Lodge to Rarakau Carpark (Approx. 5-7 hours/20km)
The track winds through native bush and over a series of bluffs before crossing the magnificent Blowholes Beach. Follow the south coast before climbing back to the coastal terrace, past the Okaka track junction and after one more coastal section, the track returns to Rarakau Car Park. Your track transport departs mid-afternoon for Tuatapere.
$690NZ per person – multi share - departing from Tuatapere
$815NZ per person – private room - departing from Tuatapere (based on 2 people sharing)
- One night pre-walk B+B accommodation in Tuatapere (Wednesday evening) (private room with shared bathroom)
- Return Transport from Tuatapere to the start of the track at Rarakau
- Heli pack - Day 1 Rarakau to Okaka
- Multi share or private accommodation at Okaka and Port Craig Lodges - linen provided - shared bathroom
- Hot showers with towel supplied
- A choice of Back Country Cuisine dehydrated meal pouches – main meal
- Hot porridge & brown sugar for breakfast each morning
- Departs Thursdays - subject to availability (October to April)
- single supplement applies if solo traveller for pre departure B+B (mutli share on the track)
- transport links from/to Te Anau, Invercargill and Queenstown can be arranged - additional costs apply
2021/2022 Departure Dates:
Generally depart each Thursday (with Tuatapere accommodation included on Wednesday night) unless stated otherwise below:
October 2021 - 28
November 2021 - 1 (Mon), 4, 8 (Mon), 11, 15 (Mon), 18, 22 (Mon), 25 (full), 29 (Mon)
December 2021 - 2, 6 (Mon), 9, 16, 23, 30
January 2022 - 2 (Sun), 6, 13, 16 (Sun), 20, 26 (Weds), 30 (Sun)
February 2022 - 3, 9 (Weds), 13 (Sun), 17, 23 (Weds), 27 (Sun)
March 2022 - 3, 9 (Weds), 13 (Sun), 17, 24, 31
April 2022 - 4 (Mon), 7, 14