Milford Five Day Freedom Walk
Known as the finest walk in the world, the Milford Track runs from the head of Lake Te Anau to Milford Sound/Piopiotahi, over the dramatic MacKinnon Pass. Walk amid lofty mountain peaks, alongside crystal clear rivers and through dense rainforest.
Walk without the worry of organising, with transfers, hut bookings, food, equipment, track information and accommodation in Milford Sound after your walk. This is a stunning hike from Glade Wharf to your journey’s end at Milford Sound, made easier knowing everything has been arranged. This package also includes a Milford Sound Cruise.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers. Clients must carry their own pack containing clothing, sleeping bag, food and cooking equipment/eating utensils. Gas is available in the huts.
Day 0 – Your equipment and food will be dropped off at your accommodation in Te Anau
Day 1 – Glade Wharf to Clinton Hut
(Approx. 1.5 hours/5km)
Travel by bus from Te Anau at midday to Te Anau Downs to connect with your water taxi for a cruise up Lake Te Anau to Glade Wharf, start of the Milford Track. From the landing a leisurely 1½ hour walk takes you through attractive beech forest along the banks of the beautiful Clinton River to Clinton Hut where you will spend the night.
Day 2 – Clinton Hut to Mintaro Hut
(Approx. 6 hours/16.5km)
Today your walk follows the stunning Clinton River to reach Mintaro Hut. It’s a gradual climb from Clinton Hut as the track follows the Clinton River to its source, Lake Mintaro, at the base of Mackinnon Pass. Mintaro Hut is situated at the base of the Mackinnon Pass and en route you can see your first glimpse of the Pass and the Pompolona ice field.
Day 3 – Mintaro Hut to Dumpling Hut
(Approx. 6-7 hours/14km)
Hike to the top of Mackinnon Pass today – approximately 2 hours from Mintaro Hut - on a well-graded, zigzag track with stunning views of Lake Mintaro and the Clinton Valley below. The Pass Day Shelter is the highest point on the track at 1154 metres. After the descent you can take an optional side walk to Sutherland Falls, among the highest single drop falls in the world, before continuing to Dumpling Hut.
Day 4 – Dumpling Hut to Sandfly Point, Milford Sound
(Approx. 6 hours/18km)
Follow the Arthur River to Lake Ada and onto the track end at Sandfly Point. From here the launch will transfer you to Milford Sound and the short walk around to Milford Lodge in Milford Sound village. Stay overnight at the Lodge and enjoy dinner included here too.
Day 5 – Milford Sound – Te Anau
This morning take the Milford Sound Cruise (picnic lunch provided) and the bus transfer will return you to Te Anau mid/late afternoon.
4 night/5 day Milford Track Premium Freedom Package Inclusions:
$1995NZ per person:
- Return track transport to the Milford Track (bus and boat) from Te Anau
- All Milford Track hut bookings (3 nights - Clinton Hut, Mintaro Hut and Dumpling Hut)
- 3 night/4 day food package for the track (Select in advance from the menu options provided for a personalised food package to your dietary requirements – approx. 6 weeks prior to departure)
- Quality borrowed gear: Adjustable Osprey pack and pack cover, Sea to Summit sleeping bag and liner, rain jacket and pants, cooking/eating utensils, first aid kit, inflatable pillow, hot drink thermos, Care package including insect repellent
- A private chalet in Milford Sound overnight with dinner and breakfast included.
- Milford Sound Cruise with picnic lunch on day 5
- Single supplement available if solo traveller - $200NZ
- Child rate available (10-14 years) - $1435NZ - with a minimum of 2 paying adults and max 1 child per 1 adult
- Available 23rd October 2019 to 30th April 2020
What you need to bring:
- Appropriate outdoors clothing and footwear. We recommend worn in hiking boots, to minimize blisters and so your feet are comfortable.
- Personal items and toiletries (in small quantities) including sun cream
- A medium level of fitness