Tongariro One Day Guided Walk
Experience the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, often rated as one of the world's best one day walks, with a knowledgeable local guide.
This one day guided walk of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is the easiest, most convenient and truly rewarding way to experience one of the world's top hikes.
Your guide collects you from your Whakapapa or National Park accommodation for the short drive to the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This is a wonderful yet challenging 7-8 hour (19km) hike through a dramatic volcanic and alpine environment.
The track runs through the Mangatepopo Valley (900m) to the saddle between Tongariro and Ngauruhoe Mountains. Two steep climbs lead to Red Crater (1886m), then a scree slope drops down to the vivid Emerald Lakes. After passing the Green and Blue lakes the track then sidles around the northern slope of Mount Tongariro with great views of Lake Taupo, before the descent of switch-backs and steps to the end (600m).
Your private transport awaits you at the end of the track and you return late afternoon to your Tongariro National Park or Whakapapa Village accommodation.
Duration: 9 hours
$215NZ per person - Join a guided group
$295NZ per person - Private guided tour
- Pick up from Turangi, Whakapapa or National Park Village
- Lunch and bottled water on all full day hikes
- Rain-wear and warm clothing if you need it.
- Walking poles and backpacks
- Boots are available on request.
- Winter trips will have ice and snow gear provided for trips that need it, (Crampons, Ice Axes, Helmets).
- A helpful, friendly and knowledgeable Guide for the whole trip!