Abel Tasman Four Day Freedom Walk
Tick the Abel Tasman Coastal Track off your bucket list with this Four Day Freedom Walk 'All the Way' from the beginning to end of this popular track.
The four day freedom walk - Abel Tasman Track – All the Way - takes you from the start of the track at Marahau up into the lesser known and walked reaches of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track where some of the best scenery awaits. Please note that there are tidal crossings which require a flexible approach to each day's timetable.
This trip description is from South to North – tides dictate the direction of each trip and your departure date sets the direction of your trip.
Day 1 - Marahau to Anchorage
(Approx. 4 hours/12.4km)
Pickup from your accommodation in the Nelson/Motueka area and transfer to Marahau to the Aquataxi base. Spend day hiking/swimming/exploring the forest, the track and the golden sand beaches enroute to Anchorage. Your accommodation is the Aquapackers, a specially converted catamaran (New Zealand’s only floating backpackers).
Day 2 – Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet
(Approx. 8 hours/23.5kms)
Your walk today begins along the wonderful beach at Anchorage, past Torrent Bay, across the iconic Falls River swing bridge and then onward up the largest ascent of the trip. Return to sea level at Medlands and Onatahuti Bays – Awaroa Lodge is close now. This elegant eco lodge is a perfect place to relax with its picturesque views of wetlands and native bush.
Day 3 - Awaroa Inlet to Wainui Carpark (van shuttle to Ratanui Lodge)
(Approx. 7 hours/18.5kms)
Today features a tidal crossing, lovely forest and golden sands including the popular camping area at Totaranui. Pass Whariwharangi Bay, where Abel Tasman the explorer unsuccessfully tried to land. From Wainui carpark it is a short shuttle to Pohara Beach and Ratanui Lodge. A perfect way to end your trip at this lovely boutique lodge with intimate restaurant, old fashioned hospitality and a salt water swimming pool.
Day 4 - Ratanui Lodge to Nelson (by road)
A restful morning and a leisurely breakfast – perhaps followed by a casual stroll along Pohara Beach – this is so different from the golden sand beaches of the Abel Tasman. Our transport leaves Ratanui late morning and has you back in Nelson by mid-afternoon.
$985NZ per person (based on twin share)
$485NZ single supplement
- Transport to Marahau from & back to your Nelson/Motueka accommodations
- 3 nights’ accommodations (Private room Aquapackers boat, Anchorage; Hotel room at Awaroa Lodge, Awaroa; Private ensuite room at Ratanui Lodge, Pohara Beach)
- All overnight luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc.
- 3 packed lunches
- All food except dinner and breakfast at Awaroa Lodge & Ratanui Lodge.
- BBQ evening meal & breakfast on Aquapackers Boat.
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
- Available year round subject to minimum of two persons.