Milford Four Day Freedom Walk
Known as the finest walk in the world, the Milford Track runs from the head of Lake Te Anau to Milford Sound/Piopiotahi, over the dramatic MacKinnon Pass. Walk amid lofty mountain peaks, alongside crystal clear rivers and through dense rainforest.
Walk without the worry of organising, with transfers, hut bookings, food and equipment all organised for you. This is a stunning hike from Glade Wharf to your journey’s end at Milford Sound, made easier knowing everything has been arranged.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers. Clients must carry their own pack containing clothing, sleeping bag, food and cooking equipment/eating utensils. Gas is available in the huts.
Day 0 – Your equipment and food will be dropped off at your accommodation in Te Anau
Day 1 – Glade Wharf to Clinton Hut
(Approx. 1.5 hours/5km)
Travel by bus from Te Anau at midday to Te Anau Downs to connect with your water taxi for a cruise up Lake Te Anau to Glade Wharf, start of the Milford Track. From the landing a leisurely 1½ hour walk takes you through attractive beech forest along the banks of the beautiful Clinton River to Clinton Hut where you will spend the night.
Day 2 – Clinton Hut to Mintaro Hut
(Approx. 6 hours/16.5km)
Today your walk follows the stunning Clinton River to reach Mintaro Hut. It’s a gradual climb from Clinton Hut as the track follows the Clinton River to its source, Lake Mintaro, at the base of Mackinnon Pass. Mintaro Hut is situated at the base of the Mackinnon Pass and en route you can see your first glimpse of the Pass and the Pompolona ice field.
Day 3 – Mintaro Hut to Dumpling Hut
(Approx. 6-7 hours/14km)
Hike to the top of Mackinnon Pass today – approximately 2 hours from Mintaro Hut - on a well-graded, zigzag track with stunning views of Lake Mintaro and the Clinton Valley below. The Pass Day Shelter is the highest point on the track at 1154 metres. After the descent you can take an optional side walk to Sutherland Falls, among the highest single drop falls in the world, before continuing to Dumpling Hut.
Day 4 – Dumpling Hut to Sandfly Point, Milford Sound
(Approx. 6 hours/18km)
Follow the Arthur River to Lake Ada and onto the track end at Sandfly Point. From here you will meet the boat back over to the Milford Sound Visitors Centre and then take your bus transfer back to Te Anau (or ask for more details on our 'add on' Milford Sound stay and Milford Sound Cruise).
3 night/4 day Milford Track Premium Freedom Package Inclusions:
$1495NZ per person:
- Return track transport to the Milford Track (bus and boat) from Te Anau
- All Milford Track hut bookings (3 nights - Clinton Hut, Mintaro Hut and Dumpling Hut)
- 3 night/4 day food package for the track (Select in advance from the menu options provided for a personalised food package to your dietary requirements – approx. 6 weeks prior to departure)
- Quality borrowed gear: Adjustable Osprey pack and pack cover, Sea to Summit sleeping bag and liner, rain jacket and pants, cooking/eating utensils, first aid kit, inflatable pillow, hot drink thermos, Care package including insect repellent
- Single supplement available if solo traveller - $200NZ
- Child rate available (10-14 years) - $1315NZ - with a minimum of 2 paying adults and max 1 child per 1 adult
- Available 30th November 2020 to 30th April 2021
Add on options:
- Add a night at Milford Sound Lodge (in a Mountain View Chalet with Evening Meal and Breakfast) and a Discover More Cruise on Milford Sound the following morning ($525NZ per person (based on twin share) - single supplement applies if solo traveller)
What you need to bring:
- Appropriate outdoors clothing and footwear. We recommend worn in hiking boots, to minimize blisters and so your feet are comfortable.
- Personal items and toiletries (in small quantities) including sun cream
- A medium level of fitness