Queen Charlotte Four Day Standard/Upgrade Freedom Walk
This four day freedom walk can be arranged staying in either standard or upgrade accommodation. Your luggage transfers, packed lunches, water transfers to and from the track and Queen Charlotte Track land pass are all included.
The Four Day Freedom Walk on the Queen Charlotte Track includes your water taxi to and from the track, accommodation while on the trail, packed lunch each day, overnight luggage transfers and Picton drop off/pickups. Breakfasts and dinners are additional but are easily arranged at the lodges.
Day 0 - A pre walk briefing will take place in Picton the day prior to departure at 5pm - more details of this will be included within your final booking confirmation (depending on the time of year, this may be moved to the morning of departure)
Day 1 - Ship Cove to Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet (Approx. 5 hours/14km)
You will be picked up from your Picton accommodation and then catch the water taxi for your trip to Ship Cove where the walk begins. Hike around the scenic bays and coves of the Queen Charlotte Sound to Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet.
Accommodation - Furneaux Lodge
Built in the early 1900's at the foot of it's namesake Mount Furneaux, and surrounded by 2000 acres of New Zealand native forest, Furneaux Lodge is set on 3 acres of the flattest and most picturesque scenery in the Marlborough Sounds which has been unchanged since Captain Cook's first visit to the inlet in 1769. Furneaux Lodge comprises of the original homestead, restaurant, bar and accommodation in a delightfully picturesque setting.
Day 2 – Furneaux Lodge to Punga Cove, Endeavour Inlet (Approx. 4 hours/12km)
Travel the coast around Endeavour Inlet to Punga Cove through regenerating native bush to the call of bellbirds, fantails and other New Zealand native birds.
Accommodation - Punga Cove
Experience clear sparkling water, native New Zealand bush and simple tranquillity. Nestled amidst a profusion of punga ferns, Punga Cove’s well-appointed rooms are a welcome respite. The restaurant with its impressive ridge top view across the bay completes a perfect day.
Day 3 - Punga Cove to Portage/Torea Saddle (Approx. 8 hours/22.5km)
A challenging but rewarding day on the ridgeline between Punga Cove & Torea Saddle near Portage. Truly grand vistas feature round every corner with views back to Picton and over both the Queen Charlotte and Kenepuru Sounds.
Accommodation - Portage Resort
Portage Resort is a well-established accommodation with a fine restaurant, relaxed cafe & comfortable natural timber chalets. The property is set amongst a rustic landscape of native plants with an abundance of birdlife to be seen as you submerge yourself into the nature. Relax, unwind and switch off from the rest of the world and enjoy being in a remote part of the Sounds.
Day 4 - Torea Saddle (Approx. 7 hours/20.5km)
Farewell Portage Bay and ascend to the ridgeline once again, enjoying stunning views. Open farmland and a grand native bush section to finish is a fitting finale. Today you return to Picton by around 4-4.30pm by water taxi from Anakiwa to compete your journey.
$850NZ per person (based on twin share) – Standard Package
$999NZ per person (based on twin share) – Upgrade Package
- Daily departures subject to accommodation availability - min. two persons
- Standard package - 3 nights standard double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation in a Tobias Suite at Furneaux Lodge, Koru Chalet at Punga Cove and Korimako at Portage Resort
- Upgrade package - 3 nights upgrade double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation and water views in a Endeavour Suite at Furneaux Lodge, Frond Suite at Punga Cove and Tui Terrace at Portage Resort
- Water transport to and from track.
- Overnight luggage transfers.
- Packed lunch each day.
- Picton transfers to and from water taxi.
- Information pack including track reference guide
- Queen Charlotte Track Pass
- Single room occupancy available on request - supplement applies
- Child rate (3 - 12 years) available on request (based on the child sharing a room with 2 paying adults)
- Add on First Day Guided Walk - $230 per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide who will provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Queen Charlotte Track experience. Your first day is regarded as the premier section of the Queen Charlotte Track. Many beautiful views are to be had across the Marlborough Sounds. Your informative local guide will explain the European and Maori connections of this significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience . . .(Private guides available on request - additional costs apply)