Just like our three day Classic Freedom package, you can explore the most popular sections of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track and also take a day to relax in the beautiful surroundings of Awaora Lodge.
Day 1 – Marahau to Anchorage (Approx. 4 hours/12.4km)
Pick up from your accommodation (or nearby) in the Nelson area at approx. 7.15am. Road transport to Marahau arriving at the AquaTaxi base there at 8.30am. Here you will be met for your full briefing, collect your lunches for today, check-in your bags for luggage transfers and then head off. The walk today is 12.4kms and passes through regenerating forest, beside beautiful golden sand beaches while paralleling the Astrolabe Roadstead – the waterway with Adele and Fishermans Islands defining it.
Enjoy walking along the beaches – Apple Tree Bay being a favourite, before gaining some altitude (approx. 100m) with resultant magical views over all of Tasman Bay, before dropping into the perfect beach of Anchorage.
Accommodation options for your first evening:
Spend a night Glamping in Anchorage, where you’ll be welcomed into the camp and offered a chilled glass of wine or beer and some nibbles. Dinner & breakfast will be prepared by our camp assistant and you’ll spend the night in your own luxury tent (large enough to stand up in) large air mattresses with full bedding provide a restful sleep (breakfast and dinner included). Our Glamping site doesn’t have hot showers – there is only a cold outside shower, but the location is simply stunning. A glow worm cave tour in the evening, with a stroll along the beach with the moonlight shimmering in the water is a great way to complete your day.
Alternatively, you would take the water taxi back to Marahau for the evening and stay here in a B+B and enjoy dinner in one of the local restaurants. You would then take the water taxi back to Anchorage the following morning.
Day 2 – Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet (Approx. 8 hours/23.5km)
Today is a long but rewarding day in the heart of the park. Cross Torrent Bay Inlet before heading inland, emerging to the coast again at Medlands then Bark Bays. See the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned – with Tonga Island out to sea, a great place for a swim. Soak up the beauty of Onatahuti Beach with Awaroa Lodge soon reached. This elegant eco lodge is a perfect place to relax with its picturesque views of wetlands and native bush.
Day 3 - Rest day at Awaroa Lodge
A chance to rest in the wonderful Awaora lodge and have a day to relax. Alternatively perhaps join a guided sea kayaking tour - please ask for more details
Day 4 – Awaroa to Totaranui (Approx. 2.5 hours/5.5km)
Depart Awaroa and make your way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. The track winds through virgin New Zealand forest before emerging to yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay. Up and over another headland and soon we see the beach of Totaranui stretching out in the distance. This is the pick- up point for your water taxi journey back to Marahau to complete your Abel Tasman experience by sea. Once back in Marahau we transport you back to your Nelson accommodation.
Please note - Part of the track is tidal and the tides (and accommodation availability) indicate the direction of the walk and this may change from the itinerary above, according to the tide timetable of the dates you choose for your walk.
$1119NZ per person (based on twin share)
- Return transfers between Nelson and Marahau
- A full trip briefing on arrival in Marahau
- 3 nights' accommodation - Glamping Anchorage/Marahau B+B and 2 nights in a Hotel Room at Awaroa Lodge, Awaroa
- Packed lunch walking each day (excluding your rest day)
- Dinner & breakfast while Glamping (drinks & nibbles also provided) or breakfast only if staying in Marahau B+B
- return water taxis from Anchorage to Marahau if Marahau B+B option chosen
- Water taxi shuttle from Totaranui back to Marahau
- Overnight luggage transfers (you only carry your day pack)
- Your detailed personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- Single room occupancy an additional $570NZ
Add on First Day Guided - $350NZ per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide to provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Abel Tasman Track experience. Your informative local guide will explain the significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience
Add on Half Day Kayak Trip on your rest day at Awaroa Lodge – $140NZ per person
- Our trips are run daily from Awaroa Lodge. Being based at Awaroa Lodge and having all of our gear on site means we can run trips which make the best of the conditions on any given day. Awaroa is an exciting and dynamic marine environment. We like to keep our trips flexible to ensure your guide can use their local knowledge of the tides and weather patterns to run the best possible trip for you.All of our guided kayak trips last for 3-3.5 hours, including a pre-trip safety briefing and a 20-30 minute stop on a secluded beach. We break up the trip by the guide providing interesting commentary at notable points of interest along the way. All trips cost $140 per person and include hot drinks and snacks on the beach. No experience is required for any of our trips, but we do enforce a minimum age of 14 years.