Queen Charlotte Three Day Standard/Upgrade Freedom Walk
If time is short and you are unable to complete the whole track but would still like to independently discover some of the track, this three day freedom walk is the one for you and can be arranged staying in either standard or upgrade accommodation.
The Three Day Freedom Walk on the Queen Charlotte Track includes your water taxi to and from the track, accommodation while on the trail, packed lunch each day, overnight luggage transfers and Picton drop off/pickups. Breakfasts and dinners are additional but are easily arranged at the lodges.
Day 0 - A pre walk briefing will take place in Picton the day prior to departure at 5pm - more details of this will be included within your final booking confirmation (depending on the time of year, this may be moved to the morning of departure)
Day 1 - Ship Cove to Endeavour Inlet/Furneaux Lodge (approx. 5½-6 hours hours/16.5km)
You will be picked up from your Picton accommodation and then catch the water taxi for your trip to the Historic Ship Cove where the walk begins. Hike around the scenic bays and coves of the Queen Charlotte Sound to Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet.
Accommodation - Furneaux Lodge
Built in the early 1900's at the foot of it's namesake Mount Furneaux, and surrounded by acres of New Zealand native forest, Furneaux Lodge is set on 3 acres of the flattest and most picturesque scenery in the Marlborough Sounds which has been unchanged since Captain Cook's first visit to the inlet in the 1770's. Furneaux Lodge comprises of the original homestead, restaurant, bar and accommodation in a delightfully picturesque setting.
Day 2 – Furneaux Lodge to Punga Cove, Endeavour Inlet (Approx. 4 hours/12km)
Travel the coast around Endeavour Inlet to Punga Cove through regenerating native bush to the call of bellbirds, fantails and other New Zealand native birds.
Accommodation - Punga Cove (or Mahana Lodge included in the standard package)
Experience clear sparkling water, native New Zealand bush and simple tranquillity. Nestled amidst a profusion of punga ferns, Punga Cove’s well-appointed rooms are a welcome respite. The restaurant with its impressive ridge top view across the bay completes a perfect day.
Day 3 – there are 2 options available:
Punga Cove to Torea Saddle/Portage Bay (approx. 8 hours/23km)
It’s a challenging day walking on the ridgeline between Punga Cove & Torea Saddle near Portage. Truly grand vistas abound round every corner – a wonderful reward indeed. You will be collected from Torea Bay at 5pm and return to Picton around 5.30pm.
Take the morning water taxi transfer from Punga Cove/Mahana Lodge to Picton
The water taxi will come and pick you up at approx. 10.15am (This time table is valid is from October through to April - return time to Picton 12.30) or pickup at 11.30 (This time table is valid all year round - return time to Picton around 12.30-12.45pm). Cruise around the bays and make your way to Picton, arriving there early afternoon.
$640NZ per person (based on twin share) – Standard Package
$760NZ per person (based on twin share) – Upgrade Package
- Daily departures subject to accommodation availability - min. two persons
- Pre trip briefing in Picton
- Transfers to/from your Picton accommodation to the water taxi departure point
- Standard package - 2 nights standard double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation in a Tobias Suite at Furneaux Lodge and private room at Mahana Lodge *
- Upgrade package - 2 nights upgrade double/twin share with private ensuite accommodation and water views in a Endeavour Suite at Furneaux Lodge and Frond Suite at Punga Cove
- Water transport to and from track.
- Luggage transfers (you only carry your day pack)
- Packed lunch each day.
- Information pack including track reference guide
- Queen Charlotte Track Pass
- Single room occupancy available on request - supplement applies
- Child rate (4-15 years) available on request (based on the child sharing a room with 2 paying adults)
* If there is no availability at Mahana Lodge on your chosen dates, we can instead book a standard room at Punga Cove for you (this may alter the price slightly - details will be sent on confirmation)
Add on First Day Guided Walk - $230 per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide who will provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Queen Charlotte Track experience. Your first day is regarded as the premier section of the Queen Charlotte Track. Many beautiful views are to be had across the Marlborough Sounds. Your informative local guide will explain the European and Maori connections of this significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience . . .(Private guides available on request - additional costs apply)