Abel Tasman Four Day Classic Guided Walk
Explore the most popular sections of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track with this Four Day Classic Guided Walk, including a rest day to relax and rejuvenate.
Our 4 day package showcases the best features of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track with a knowledgeable guide, incorporating a unique boat-stay and 2 nights in luxury at Awaroa Lodge. A rest day at Awaroa Lodge is also included - a chance to relax, rejuvenate and enjoy the wonderful surroundings of Awaroa Lodge.
Day 1 – Marahau to Anchorage (Approx. 4 hours/12.4km)
After pick up from your Nelson accommodation and introduction to your guide, your walk will begin in Marahau and passes through regenerating forest and alongside beautiful golden sand beaches. Linger at Apple Tree Bay, before gaining some altitude to enjoy great views over all of Tasman Bay. Anchorage is near, and your boat accommodation in private rooms for the night. A unique boat-stay with a BBQ evening meal served on the top deck of the boat – bliss!
Day 2 – Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet (Approx. 8 hours/23.5km)
Today is a long but rewarding day in the heart of the park. Cross Torrent Bay Inlet before heading inland, emerging to the coast again at Medlands then Bark Bays. See the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned – with Tonga Island out to sea, a great place for a swim. Soak up the beauty of Onatahuti Beach with Awaroa Lodge soon reached. This elegant eco lodge is a perfect place to relax with its picturesque views of wetlands and native bush.
Day 3 - Rest day at Awaroa Lodge
A chance to rest in the wonderful Awaora lodge and have a day to relax. Alternatively perhaps join a guided sea kayaking tour.
Day 4 – Awaroa to Totaranui (Approx. 2.5 hours/5.5km)
Depart Awaroa and make your way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. The track winds through virgin New Zealand forest before emerging to yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay. Up and over another headland and soon we see the beach of Totaranui stretching out in the distance. This is the pick- up point for our water taxi journey back to Marahau to complete your Abel Tasman experience by sea. Once back in Marahau we shuttle you back to your accommodation.
Please note - Part of the track is tidal and the tides (and accommodation availability) indicate the direction of the walk and this may change from the itinerary above, according to the tide timetable of the dates you choose for your walk.
$2159NZ per person (based on twin share)
- Transport to Marahau to/from Nelson accommodation.
- 3 nights’ accommodation (Private room Aquapackers at Anchorage; 2 nights Hotel room at Awaroa Lodge, Awaroa)
- All overnight luggage transfers – you carry just a daypack with your lunch etc.
- 3 packed lunches including fresh brewed coffee or tea (no packed lunch is provided on your rest day)
- All food including restaurant dining at Awaroa Lodge
- BBQ evening meal & breakfast on Aquapackers Boat.
- Water taxi shuttle from Totoranui back to Marahau.
- Foot towels for drying feet after tidal crossings.
- The services of a well-informed guide.
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information.
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required - $570NZ
Add on Kayak Trip on your rest day at Awaroa Lodge – $140NZ per person
- Our trips are run daily from Awaroa Lodge. Being based at Awaroa Lodge and having all of our gear on site means we can run trips which make the best of the conditions on any given day. Awaroa is an exciting and dynamic marine environment. We like to keep our trips flexible to ensure your guide can use their local knowledge of the tides and weather patterns to run the best possible trip for you.All of our guided kayak trips last for 3-3.5 hours, including a pre-trip safety briefing and a 20-30 minute stop on a secluded beach. We break up the trip by the guide providing interesting commentary at notable points of interest along the way. All trips cost $140 per person and include hot drinks and snacks on the beach. No experience is required for any of our trips, but we do enforce a minimum age of 14 years.
This trip can depart on any given date, with a minimum of 2 people and dependent on lodge/accommodation availability at the time of booking.