Abel Tasman Four Day Classic Guided Walk
Explore the most popular sections of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track with this Four Day Classic Guided Walk, including a rest day to relax and rejuvenate.
Our 4 day Classic package showcases the best features of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track with the addition of a knowledgeable guide and including a rest day at Awaroa Lodge - a chance to relax, rejuvenate and enjoy the wonderful surroundings of this Lodge.
Day 1 – Marahau to Anchorage (Approx. 4 hours/12.4km)
After pick up from your Nelson accommodation and introduction to your guide, you will be transported to Marahau where your walk will begin. Today you will pass through regenerating forest and walk alongside beautiful golden sand beaches. Linger at Apple Tree Bay, before gaining some altitude to enjoy great views over all of Tasman Bay.
Accommodation options for your first evening:
Spend the night in Anchorage in our 'Comfort Camping' site, where you’ll be welcomed into the camp and offered a chilled glass of wine or beer and some nibbles. Dinner & breakfast will be prepared by our camp guide and you’ll spend the night in your own luxury tent (large enough to stand up in) large air mattresses with full bedding provide a restful sleep. The site doesn’t have hot showers – there is only a cold outside shower, but the location is simply stunning. A glow worm cave tour in the evening, with a stroll along the beach with the moonlight shimmering in the water is a great way to complete your day.
Alternatively, you would take the water taxi back to Marahau for the evening and stay here in a B+B and enjoy dinner in one of the restaurants in the town. You would then take the water taxi back to Anchorage the following morning.
Day 2 – Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet (Approx. 8 hours/23.5km)
Today is a long but rewarding day in the heart of the park. Cross Torrent Bay Inlet before heading inland, emerging to the coast again at Medlands then Bark Bays. See the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned – with Tonga Island out to sea, a great place for a swim! Soak up the beauty of Onatahuti Beach with Awaroa Lodge soon reached. This elegant eco lodge is a perfect place to relax with its picturesque views of wetlands and native bush.
Day 3 - Rest day at Awaroa Lodge
A chance to rest in the wonderful Awaora lodge and have a day to relax. Alternatively perhaps join a guided sea kayaking tour (additional cost applies)
Day 4 – Awaroa to Totaranui (Approx. 2.5 hours/5.5km)
Depart Awaroa and make your way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. The track winds through virgin New Zealand forest before emerging to yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay. Up and over another headland and soon we see the beach of Totaranui stretching out in the distance. This is the pick- up point for your water taxi journey back to Marahau to complete your Abel Tasman experience by sea. Once back in Marahau we transport you back to your Nelson accommodation.
Please note - Part of the track is tidal and the tides (and accommodation availability) indicate the direction of the walk and this may change from the itinerary above, according to the tide timetable of the dates you choose for your walk.
$2499NZ per person (based on twin share)
- Transport to Marahau to/from Nelson accommodation.
- 3 nights’ accommodation (Comfort Camping in Anchorage or Marahau B+B and 2 nights Hotel room at Awaroa Lodge, Awaroa)
- All overnight luggage transfers (you carry just a daypack with you)
- 3 packed lunches including fresh brewed coffee or tea (no packed lunch is provided on your rest day)
- Dinner and breakfast each day
- Water taxi shuttle from Totoranui back to Marahau.
- Foot towels for drying feet after tidal crossings.
- The services of a well-informed guide.
- Your personalised itinerary, maps and other information.
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required - $600NZ
Add on a Half day Kayak Trip on your rest day at Awaroa Lodge – $140NZ per person
- Our trips are run daily from Awaroa Lodge. Being based at Awaroa Lodge and having all of our gear on site means we can run trips which make the best of the conditions on any given day. Awaroa is an exciting and dynamic marine environment. We like to keep our trips flexible to ensure your guide can use their local knowledge of the tides and weather patterns to run the best possible trip for you.All of our guided kayak trips last for 3-3.5 hours, including a pre-trip safety briefing and a 20-30 minute stop on a secluded beach. We break up the trip by the guide providing interesting commentary at notable points of interest along the way. All trips cost $140 per person and include hot drinks and snacks on the beach. No experience is required for any of our trips, but we do enforce a minimum age of 14 years.
This trip can depart on any given date, with a minimum of 2 people and dependent on lodge/accommodation availability at the time of booking.