If it is a fully guided experience with all meals, accommodation prior to the walk, transport to and from the trail and even the ease of a helicopter ride to cover some of the distance on the first day, then this three day guided walk is for you!
Day 0 - Your adventure begins in Tuatapere where you learn about the track and get to know your guide before checking into your overnight B+B accommodation.
Day 1 – Tuatapere to Okaka Lodge
(Approx. 5-6 hours/12km)
A scenic helicopter ride over Te Waewae Bay delivers you to the beginning of your walk. Begin the climb to the top of the Hump Ridge. Stunning views abound including the islands off the South Coast, the Fiordland mountains and lakes nearby. Okaka, the lodge 'on top of the world' is your home this evening.
Day 2 – Okaka Lodge to Port Craig Lodge
(Approx. 7-9 hours/20km)
Continue down the Hump Ridge enjoying 360 degree views of Te Waewae Bay, the South Coast, Waitutu Terraces and mountains behind them. Traverse mighty wooden viaducts on the way to Port Craig Village, remnants from the time this area was a bustling sawmill settlement. Spy Hector's dolphins in the surf or put your feet up on arrival at Port Craig Lodge, nestled on the coast.
Day 3 – Port Craig Lodge to Tuatapere
(Approx. 5-7 hours/20km)
Your final day begins under a native bush canopy and continues along beautiful golden beaches - a spectacular finish to a fantastic trip. Walk back along the section you flew over to begin the walk, enjoying it this time from beach level.
$1745NZ per person Multi-share – departing from Tuatapere
$1845NZ per person Private Room - departing from Tuatapere
- 1 nights’ pre-walk B&B accommodation in Tuatapere (Thursday evening)
- Return Transport from Tuatapere to the track
- A short helicopter flight to take you across Te Waewae Bay
- Heli-pack your pack (max 15kg ) up the hill to Okaka on Day 1
- Multi-share accommodation or Private Room & a hot shower with all linen supplied
- Fully catered with cooked breakfasts, packed lunches and 3 course dinners. Snacks and fresh fruit also provided
- A day pack is all you’ll need to carry your lunch, wet weather gear and a change of clothes
- Departs Fridays - subject to availability (November to April)
- Transport can also be included from/to Te Anau, Invercargill and Queenstown - please enquire for more details and prices
- single supplement applies if solo traveller
2020/2021 Departure Dates:
November 2020 - 6, 13, 20, 27
December 2020 - 11, 18
January 2021 - 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
February 2021 - 5, 12, 19, 26
March 2021 - 5, 12, 19, 26
April 2021 - 2