Kepler Three Day Freedom Walk
Beginning on the bush-clad shores of Lake Te Anau and Manapouri and rising to the majestic tops of nearby Mt Luxmore, this Great Walk affords inspiring views across a stunning alpine region.
Walk without the worry of organising, with transfers, hut bookings, food, equipment and track information organised for you. This is a stunning hike from the shores of Lake Te Anau to the mountaintops – made easier knowing everything has been arranged.
Please note - The booking system for this track for the 2021/2022 season opens on the 17th June 2021, but will fill very quickly for the full season ahead. We can waitlist your booking details prior to the booking system opening - please contact us for more information.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers. Clients must carry their own pack containing clothing, sleeping bag, food and cooking equipment/eating utensils. Gas is available in the huts.
Day 0 – Your equipment and food will be dropped off at your accommodation in Te Anau
Day 1 – Kepler Track Car Park to Luxmore Hut
(Approx. 5 to 6 hours/13.8km)
A shuttle bus will take you from Te Anau this morning to The Kepler Track car park and the start of your walk, starting this morning with a pleasant walk around Lake Te Anau to Brod Bay. From here, ascend through mountain and beech forests to Luxmore Hut, just above the tree line with stunning views over Lake Te Anau far below. Be sure to visit the nearby Luxmore Caves.
Day 2 – Luxmore Hut to Iris Burn Hut
(Approx. 5 to 6 hours/14.6km)
The track climbs gradually from the hut to a ridge just below the summit of Mount Luxmore. Be sure to take the 10 minute side trip to the summit of Mount Luxmore providing excellent views. Continue along the stunning alpine track and then descend through a series of zigzags into a hanging valley to Iris Burn Hut.
Day 3 – Iris Burn Hut to Rainbow Reach/Te Anau
(Approx. 6.5 to 8 hours/22.2 km)
A steady hike today down through beech forest, riverside clearings and a gorge. Nearing Lake Manapouri, the track meanders through lowland beech and podocarp forest. It follows the lake shore to Moturau Hut, situated beside a beautiful beach, with panoramic views of Lake Manapouri. From here it is a gentle stroll through beech forest to the swing bridge at Rainbow Reach to finish your walk. A shuttle service will take you from here back to Te Anau.
2 night/3 day Kepler Track Premium Freedom Package Inclusions:
$1065NZ per person:
- Return track transport to the Kepler Track from Te Anau
- All Kepler Track hut bookings (2 nights – Luxmore Hut and Iris Burn Hut)
- 2 night/3 day food package for the track (Select in advance from the menu options provided for a personalised food package to your dietary requirements – approx. 6 weeks prior to departure)
- Quality borrowed gear: Adjustable Osprey pack and pack cover, Sea to Summit sleeping bag and liner, rain jacket and pants, cooking/eating utensils, first aid kit, inflatable pillow, hot drink thermos, Care package including insect repellent
- Single supplement available if solo traveller - $150NZ
- Child rate available (10-14 years) - $895NZ
- Available 26th October 2021 to 30th April 2022
What you need to bring:
- Appropriate outdoors clothing and footwear. We recommend worn in hiking boots, to minimize blisters and so your feet are comfortable.
- Personal items and toiletries (in small quantities) including sun cream
- A medium level of fitness