Routeburn Three Day Freedom Walk
The Routeburn Track runs between the Mount Aspiring and Fiordland National Parks. This Great Walk affords breath taking mountain views as it passes through glacial valleys, through beech forest and alongside pristine alpine streams and lakes.
Walk without the worry of organising, with transfers, hut bookings, food, equipment and track information all arranged for you. This is a stunning hike from the Divide to the Routburn Shelter – made easier knowing everything has been arranged.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers. Clients must carry their own pack containing clothing, sleeping bag, food and cooking equipment/eating utensils. Gas is available in the huts.
Day 0 – Your equipment and food will be dropped off at your accommodation in Queenstown
Day 1 – The Divide to Lake MacKenzie Hut
(Approx. 4 to 5 hours/12 km)
Travel by bus from Queenstown this morning to The Divide, via Te Anau.
Once at the Divide, start on your Routeburn adventure. Be sure to take in the side track up to Key Summit. You then descend to Lake Howden, before gradually climbing through silver beech forest to Earland Falls (174m) which is a great place to take in the atmosphere. From here head steadily up towards Mackenzie Hut, which is situated lakeside in a hanging valley.
Day 2 – Lake Mackenzie Hut to Routeburn Falls Hut
(Approx. 5 to 6 hours/11.3km)
Today’s walk takes you over the Harris Saddle with an optional side track to the summit of Conical Hill, affording views across the Hollyford Valley and out to the Tasman Sea.
The ascent from Mackenzie Hut is through alpine vegetation and a ‘magical forest’ covered in moss and lichen.
Day 3 – Routeburn Falls Hut to Routeburn Shelter
(Approx. 4 hours/9.8km)
Leave Routeburn Falls Hut this morning and the steady climb down takes you past waterfalls and through alpine pastures, then along the Routeburn Valley through beech forest to the end at the Routeburn Shelter. From here, the bus will take you back to Queenstown.
2 night/3 day Routeburn Track Premium Freedom Package Inclusions:
$1125NZ per person
- All track transport to the Routeburn Track from Queenstown (bus from Queenstown to the Divide and then the Routeburn Shelter to Queenstown)
- All Routeburn Track hut bookings (2 nights – Lake Mackenzie Hut and Routeburn Falls Hut)
- 2 night/3 day food package for the track (Select in advance from the menu options provided for a personalised food package to your dietary requirements – approx. 6 weeks prior to departure)
- Quality borrowed gear: Adjustable Osprey pack and pack cover, Sea to Summit sleeping bag and liner, rain jacket and pants, cooking/eating utensils, first aid kit, inflatable pillow, hot drink thermos, Care package including insect repellent
- Single supplement available if solo traveller - $200NZ
- Child rate available (10-14 years) - $895NZ - with a minimum of 2 paying adults and max 1 child per 1 adult
- Child rate available (15-17 years) - $995NZ - with a minimum of 2 paying adults and max 1 child per 1 adult
- Available 7th December 2020 to 30th April 2021
What you need to bring:
- Appropriate outdoors clothing and footwear. We recommend worn in hiking boots, to minimize blisters and so your feet are comfortable.
- Personal items and toiletries (in small quantities) including sun cream
- A medium level of fitness