Walk without the worry of organising with transfers, hut bookings, track information and accommodation before and after your walk, all included with the four day freedom walk. This is a stunning hike from the start of the Routeburn Track to the Divide – made easier knowing everything has been arranged.
Please note that accommodation is in Department of Conservation huts which are pre-booked for our guests - these are basic but comfortable and must be shared with other track walkers. Clients must carry their own pack containing clothing, sleeping bag, food and cooking equipment/eating utensils. Gas is available in the huts.
The track can be walked from either direction however below describes the route from East to West.
Day 0 - A pre-tour briefing is conducted in Queenstown the day prior at 3pm.
Day 1 – Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Falls Hut
(Approx. 4 hours/8.8km)
Travel by bus to the head of Lake Wakatipu through Glenorchy and past Paradise to the Routeburn Shelter, the start of the Routeburn Track. On entering Mount Aspiring National Park, it is a gentle walk through beech forest and along the Routeburn Valley. A short steady climb takes you past waterfalls and up to the first night at the Routeburn Falls Hut (48 bunks), situated by the Routeburn waterfall overlooking the valley below.
Day 2 – Routeburn Falls Hut to Lake Mackenzie Hut
(Approx. 5 to 6 hours/11.3km)
Today’s walk takes you over the Harris Saddle with an optional side track to the summit of Conical Hill, affording views across the Hollyford Valley and out to the Tasman Sea. The descent down to Mackenzie Hut is through alpine vegetation and a ‘magical forest’ covered in moss and lichen. Lake Mackenzie Hut, with 50 bunks, is situated lakeside in a hanging valley.
Day 3 – Lake Mackenzie Hut to the Divide
(Approx. 4 to 5 hours/12 km)
Experience lush forest and waterfalls before opening out to look down the Hollyford Valley and beyond. Earland Falls (174m) is a great place to take in the atmosphere before walking on to Howden Hut. Continue out to The Divide for the end of your Routeburn Track adventure. Take the side trip up Key Summit (1 to 1½ hours) if you have time before arriving at the Divide to catch the coach back to Queenstown.
695NZ per person – Track Package + Pre and Post Queenstown Motel accommodation
- Pre Routeburn Track briefing in Queenstown at 3pm the afternoon prior to departure
- Queenstown Motel accommodation - 1 night pre and 1 night post your walk
- All Routeburn Track hut bookings and fees (2 nights - Routeburn Falls Hut and Mackenzie Hut)
- All track transport to the Routeburn Track (The Routeburn Shelter and The Divide).
- Track map and information.
- Souvenir track map.
- NZ Mountain Safety Council approved pack liner.
- Available 23rd October 2018 to 30th April 2019
- Single supplements apply for pre-and post accommodation if booking for one person
- Upgrade to Queenstown Hotel accommodation pre/post your walk - enquire for more details
As per Department of Conservation charges, NZ citizens and permanent residents now qualify for a special rate. Please contact us for details